Narelle is a proud Yamatji Wajarri-Noongar Wilman woman.
She has always been passionate about telling stories of her people, whether it was an historical account or inspired by yarning around the campfire with family.
This passion has led to a career spanning more than 20 years in Media/Communications and Community Engagement after starting her career as a television news journalist at the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
Narelle has also worked as a public servant at the Department of Indigenous Affairs (DIA) broadening her skills in media relations, events coordination, speech writing, research and policy development. During her time at DIA, she developed the award-winning schools-based reconciliation initiative PALS, which continues today. Narelle has also been involved in the major publication, Historical Encyclopedia of Western Australia, ensuring the inclusion of Indigenous content and Aboriginal writers for the project.
Narelle volunteers her time to several not-for-profit groups and has previously served on the boards of Yirra Yaakin Aboriginal Theatre Company and the Perth Institute of Contemporary Arts.
She also enjoys going back on country practising culture and dancing with her aunties.
In 2019, Narelle joined Yirra Yaakin’s Writers Group pitching the concept of Dating Black and started this journey with the theatre company to develop and shape her first play.
Narelle works full-time with a global company but enjoys writing stories in her spare time.
• Dating Black, Yirra Yaakin Theatre Company (world premiere production 2021)
• Iso Madness, Yirra Yaarnz, Yirra Yaakin Theatre Company (2020)
• Dating Black, Yirra Yaarnz, Yirra Yaakin Theatre Company (2019)
• Coordinated the development and installation of the Rio Tinto Interactive Experience display at the WA Museum (2020)
• Developed Partnership, Acceptance, Learning and Sharing (PALS) initiative which promotes reconciliation in schools in WA (2004)
• Coordination role on Aboriginal history for the Historical Encyclopedia of Western Australia at UWA, 2004
• ABC Journalist/Newsreader – TV and Radio, 1994-2002
• Journalism and media broadcast feature programs including ‘Speaking Out’, ‘Radio Pictures’ and Ways of Being, Ways of Talk video series presentation
No products were found matching your selection.