Michael Watt’s unique play is a raw and dangerously funny reflection on the colonization of Australia.
Meet Walter Walloon Beckett! An all-singing, all-dancing, comedian extraordinaire. The last of the famous Beckett clan. And he’s a rabbit…! With his lucky rabbit foot stuck in a trap on top of a hilltop in outback Australia, Walter has plenty of time to reflect on his less than exemplary life, and his unrequited love for a bilby named Boo Boo.
Playful and razor sharp in turns, Not Like Beckett explores what it is to love and be human, albeit in a ‘bunny’ sort of way.
Not Like Beckett is one of the most produced new Australian works of recent years, with productions at Malthouse Theatre in Melbourne (2006), Deckchair Theatre in Freemantle (2007), Red Dust Theatre in Alice Springs (2007), Northern Rivers Performing Arts (NORPA) in Lismore (2007) and the Darwin Theatre Company (2007).
ISBN: 978 1921390 00 5
"Watts’ language evokes the beautiful desolation of outback landscapes and provides a thoughtful subtext on the bleak marriage between colonial romanticism and indigenous extinction."
— The Age
"Not Like Beckett is the ultimate tragicomedy for you if you love to sit around after a show and chat about what you’ve seen – and you’ll want to. Not Like Beckett delves into all sorts of philosophies and ‘isms’ that require further discussion. It’s not a play you can walk away from and not provoke chatter."
— Australian Stage
A Photocopy Licence is required to make copies of any purchased digital play script. Should you wish to make additional copies for a cast to rehearse or a class to study, you will need to purchase the necessary licence by:
- Adding the Photocopy Licence to your shopping cart when you purchase a digital script. OR
- Downloading the ‘Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form’ below and returning it to Playlab Theatre digitally to email@example.com or via mail to PO Box 3701 South Brisbane B.C, 4101.
Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form
- Photocopy Licences are not available for hardcopy scripts.
- Educational institutions covered by a Copyright Agency Limited (CAL) licence should take note that their CAL licence only allows them to copy a maximum of one chapter or 10% of a script whether it is in digital or hardcopy format.
- A Photocopy Licence does not include the right to on-sell copies of the script printed under the licence.
- Playwrights receive royalties from the sale of licences.
Let Playlab Theatre help you obtain the performance rights for your production. Simply click on ‘Performance Rights Enquiry Form’ below and we will get you on track to having your production off the page and onto stage.
Performance Rights Enquiry Form
Any performance or public reading of any text published by Playlab Theatre is forbidden unless a licence has been received from the author or the author’s agent. The purchase of a Playlab Theatre publication in no way gives the purchaser the right to perform the play in public, whether by means of a staged production or as a reading. Please direct all inquiries concerning performance rights, publication, translation or recording rights to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on (07) 3220 2763.