The enigmatic character, Bartleby, embodies the confounding human problem at the heart of the office workplace. Imagined by Herman Melville in his equally enigmatic and acclaimed 1853 story that bears the character’s name, he asks: how much of another person’s humanity will we bear when it obstructs the flow of our work? What is the meaning of the work we do?
Julian Hobba’s adaptation of Melville’s story puts Bartleby in the contemporary Australian office, where the demands of technology and expectations of endless advancement have made the atmosphere permanently schizophrenic. Brilliantly capable, frustratingly unworkable, he forces the wise old lawyer who employs him to choose between the office — that effective system for managing human behaviour — and Bartleby’s being.
Bartleby was first produced by The Street Theatre in Street Two from 26 July – 3 August 2014
ISBN: 978 1 925338 05 8
Please note that this is a digital product that cannot be copied or printed without a Photocopy License or by purchasing a Print-On-Demand Copy. Once purchased, a locked PDF copy of this product will be downloadable via a link supplied within an automatically dispatched confirmation email. If you have purchased a digital product and did not receive this email please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
"Bartleby is theatre at its best"
— Canberra Critic Circle, July 2014
"All of this is darkly amusing, somewhat disturbing and rather enjoyable, especially by anyone who has spent time in a bureaucracy."
— Canberra Times
Print-On-Demand (POD) is a service Playlab offers to help cater to customers who prefers/needs to have a physical printout of a digital script. We can also provide the hardcopies to suit a variety of situations that includes rehearsals, studies and/or libraries to have on their shelves.
Please note that:
- POD Copies are charged at a flat rate of $9.00 each in addition to the digital price of the text (Not including sale prices).
- A POD copy is a thermal fastback binding copy as depicted in the pictures below, it is not the same as a standard hardcopy script offered by Playlab.
A Photocopy Licence is required to make copies of any purchased digital play script. Should you wish to make additional copies for a cast to rehearse or a class to study, you will need to purchase the necessary licence by:
- Adding the Photocopy Licence to your shopping cart when you purchase a digital script. OR
- Downloading the ‘Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form’ below and returning it to Playlab digitally to email@example.com or via mail to PO Box 3701 South Brisbane B.C, 4101.
Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form
- Photocopy Licences are not available for hardcopy scripts.
- Educational institutions covered by a Copyright Agency Limited (CAL) licence should take note that their CAL licence only allows them to copy a maximum of one chapter or 10% of a script whether it is in digital or hardcopy format.
- A Photocopy Licence does not include the right to on-sell copies of the script printed under the licence.
- Playwrights receive royalties from the sale of licences.
Let Playlab help you obtain the performance rights for your production. Simply click on ‘Performance Rights Enquiry Form’ below and we will get you on track to having your production off the page and onto stage.
Performance Rights Enquiry Form
Any performance or public reading of any text published by Playlab is forbidden unless a licence has been received from the author or the author’s agent. The purchase of a Playlab publication in no way gives the purchaser the right to perform the play in public, whether by means of a staged production or as a reading. Please direct all inquiries concerning performance rights, publication, translation or recording rights to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on (07) 3220 2763.