(Lazarus Won’t Get Out of Bed was first presented by ASTheatre and Metro Arts as part of Metro Art Allies 2009.)
Lazarus has been in bed for three days since it happened and nothing is going to make him move. Nothing. He get’s to make the rules in his bed; he’s the master of his own fate there, even as his world is crashing down around him. He can be anyone he wants to be, Luke Skywalker, Harry Potter, Superman … Luke Skywalker, he is any pop culture icon he chooses, and he always gets the girl. That is until the arrival of Syd.
David Burton’s text explores the idea of the hero’s quest and the lengths we’ll go to when avoiding our own realities. It suggests that with a sprinkling of comedy and a splattering of pop-culture it’s easy to forget what haunts us. Lazarus would like to be a hero, but he can’t.
ISBN: 978 1 921390 77 7
Please note that this is a digital product that cannot be copied or printed without a Photocopy License or by purchasing a Print-On-Demand Copy. Once purchased, a locked PDF copy of this product will be downloadable via a link supplied within an automatically dispatched confirmation email. If you have purchased a digital product and did not receive this email please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
"If you like ‘Harry Potter’, ‘Star Wars’ and ‘The Young Ones’, then you will love this skilfully presented, madcap blend. Plenty of belly laughs, sensitively mixed in with the odd sad cameo. MOST enjoyable, great theatre"
— Independent Theatre Association, 2015
"Lazarus Won't Get Out of Bed is a new age, quirky, often hilarious look at one man's journey through depression"
— Australian Stage
Print-On-Demand (POD) is a service Playlab offers to help cater to customers who prefers/needs to have a physical printout of a digital script. We can also provide the hardcopies to suit a variety of situations that includes rehearsals, studies and/or libraries to have on their shelves.
Please note that:
- POD Copies are charged at a flat rate of $9.00 each in addition to the digital price of the text (Not including sale prices).
- A POD copy is a thermal fastback binding copy as depicted in the pictures below, it is not the same as a standard hardcopy script offered by Playlab.
A Photocopy Licence is required to make copies of any purchased digital play script. Should you wish to make additional copies for a cast to rehearse or a class to study, you will need to purchase the necessary licence by:
- Adding the Photocopy Licence to your shopping cart when you purchase a digital script. OR
- Downloading the ‘Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form’ below and returning it to Playlab digitally to email@example.com or via mail to PO Box 3701 South Brisbane B.C, 4101.
Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form
- Photocopy Licences are not available for hardcopy scripts.
- Educational institutions covered by a Copyright Agency Limited (CAL) licence should take note that their CAL licence only allows them to copy a maximum of one chapter or 10% of a script whether it is in digital or hardcopy format.
- A Photocopy Licence does not include the right to on-sell copies of the script printed under the licence.
- Playwrights receive royalties from the sale of licences.
Let Playlab help you obtain the performance rights for your production. Simply click on ‘Performance Rights Enquiry Form’ below and we will get you on track to having your production off the page and onto stage.
Performance Rights Enquiry Form
Any performance or public reading of any text published by Playlab is forbidden unless a licence has been received from the author or the author’s agent. The purchase of a Playlab publication in no way gives the purchaser the right to perform the play in public, whether by means of a staged production or as a reading. Please direct all inquiries concerning performance rights, publication, translation or recording rights to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on (07) 3220 2763.