Claire Christian‘s Lysa and the Freeborn Dames addresses ideas of legacy, young people making their politics active, and navigating the difficult space of young adulthood, beginning to push back against what you know or have been taught.
Lysa King is nineteen and angry. After spending a year away from her small town, experiencing a powerful uprising of her own political voice, and the protests of women all over the world, Lysa has returned to discover that revolution seems to be happening everywhere but home.
Her arrival coincides with the biggest weekend on the annual calendar, the War Weekender, a weekend-long celebration of the town’s most prized citizens, the local footy team. Unable to stay silent, Lysa decides it’s time to ensure that her voice is heard, and armed with a flag, a manifesto, and the key to the footy club’s change rooms she plans to bring revolution about by any means necessary.
Inspired by Aristophanes’ Lysistrata, Christian lands us in the present with this hilarious, messy, and glitter-filled response to the power of women globally.
Lysa and the Freeborn Dames was first produced by La Boite and QUT Creative industries premiering at the Roundhouse Theatre on July 21, 2018.
ISBN: 978 1 925338 86 7
Print-On-Demand (POD) is a service Playlab offers to help cater to customers who prefers/needs to have a physical printout of a digital script. We can also provide the hardcopies to suit a variety of situations that includes rehearsals, studies and/or libraries to have on their shelves.
Please note that:
- POD Copies are charged at a flat rate of $12.00 each in addition to the digital price of the text (Not including sale prices).
- A POD copy is a thermal fastback binding copy as depicted in the pictures below, it is not the same as a standard hardcopy script offered by Playlab.
Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form
A Photocopy Licence is required to make copies of any purchased digital play script. Should you wish to make additional copies for a cast to rehearse or a class to study, you will need to purchase the necessary licence by:
- Photocopy Licences are not available for hardcopy scripts.
- Educational institutions covered by a Copyright Agency Limited (CAL) licence should take note that their CAL licence only allows them to copy a maximum of one chapter or 10% of a script whether it is in digital or hardcopy format.
- A Photocopy Licence does not include the right to on-sell copies of the script printed under the licence.
- Playwrights receive royalties from the sale of licences.
Let Playlab help you obtain the performance rights for your production. Simply click on ‘Performance Rights Enquiry Form’ below and we will get you on track to having your production off the page and onto stage.
Performance Rights Enquiry Form
Any performance or public reading of any text published by Playlab is forbidden unless a licence has been received from the author or the author’s agent. The purchase of a Playlab publication in no way gives the purchaser the right to perform the play in public, whether by means of a staged production or as a reading. Please direct all inquiries concerning performance rights, publication, translation or recording rights to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on (07) 3220 2763.