Proud and ambitious King Vikram is visited by the mysterious sorcerer, Shantil, who offers him the secret to world domination if Vikram will do him a favour. Vikram must retrieve a mischievous spirit, Vetal, who is hiding inside a corpse in the Burning Ground and bring him to Shantil. Oblivious to the challenges which await him, Vikram pulls down the corpse from a tree, hoists it onto his back, and begins the treacherous journey back to Shantil, fending off, all the while, the vengeful spirits of the numerous people he has executed. On the way, to distract the king from his task, the anarchic Vetal, assisted by his eager cohort of spirit-actors, begins to tell Vikram stories, which magically come to life around him. Vikram comes to realise that the terrors of the outlandish tales, each of which contains an apt and painful lesson for him, are nothing compared to the barren world of his own soul … and that in Vetal he has met his match.
Based on the delightful ancient Indian stories of Vetal and Vikram, The King and the Corpse! is a dynamic performance text which celebrates the art of storytelling and ensemble playing. It is an actor-driven theatrical tour-de-force which incorporates physical imagery, masks, music and dance, and is a must for students studying physical theatre, storytelling techniques in performance, or adapting ancient tales for the stage.
ISBN: 978 1 921390 60 9
Print-On-Demand (POD) is a service Playlab offers to help cater to customers who prefers/needs to have a physical printout of a digital script. We can also provide the hardcopies to suit a variety of situations that includes rehearsals, studies and/or libraries to have on their shelves.
Please note that:
- POD Copies are charged at a flat rate of $9.00 each in addition to the digital price of the text (Not including sale prices).
- A POD copy is a thermal fastback binding copy as depicted in the pictures below, it is not the same as a standard hardcopy script offered by Playlab.
A Photocopy Licence is required to make copies of any purchased digital play script. Should you wish to make additional copies for a cast to rehearse or a class to study, you will need to purchase the necessary licence by:
- Adding the Photocopy Licence to your shopping cart when you purchase a digital script. OR
- Downloading the ‘Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form’ below and returning it to Playlab digitally to email@example.com or via mail to PO Box 3701 South Brisbane B.C, 4101.
Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form
- Photocopy Licences are not available for hardcopy scripts.
- Educational institutions covered by a Copyright Agency Limited (CAL) licence should take note that their CAL licence only allows them to copy a maximum of one chapter or 10% of a script whether it is in digital or hardcopy format.
- A Photocopy Licence does not include the right to on-sell copies of the script printed under the licence.
- Playwrights receive royalties from the sale of licences.
Let Playlab help you obtain the performance rights for your production. Simply click on ‘Performance Rights Enquiry Form’ below and we will get you on track to having your production off the page and onto stage.
Performance Rights Enquiry Form
Any performance or public reading of any text published by Playlab is forbidden unless a licence has been received from the author or the author’s agent. The purchase of a Playlab publication in no way gives the purchaser the right to perform the play in public, whether by means of a staged production or as a reading. Please direct all inquiries concerning performance rights, publication, translation or recording rights to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on (07) 3220 2763.