Matthew Whittet‘s Cinderella is a heartfelt fairy tale for adults about love forged offline and in person.
This Cinderella is not about princes and princesses. It’s about a single woman in her early 40s trying to go on a date, and a single guy who has an unreasonable fear of not being heard over loud music in bars. There may not be any ugly sisters, but there’s the occasional mysterious animal. There’s midnight. There’s a show. There’s dancing. And there’s beautiful transformation.
Cinderella was first produced by Belvoir, premiering downstairs at the Belvoir Street Theatre on November 15, 2014.
ISBN: 978 1 925338 81 2
"Cinderella undermines the Hollywood rom-com to hilarious effect."
— CONCRETE PLAYGROUND
"Cinderella is an accurate and timely representation of romance in the digital age."
— SUZY GOES SEE
"Whittet... playfully weaves elements of the Cinderella story and its many variants (the lost shoe, the figure of the lost mother, the transforming animal) into a bittersweet study of loneliness. You don't see any ugly sisters, but that doesn't mean they are not there."
— Sydney Morning Herald
"It’s not just a play for anybody who’s been in the dating game, but a play for anybody in the dating game today … this play brings that experience to life hilariously and with great pathos."
— Ben Neutze, Daily Review, 2014
Print-On-Demand (POD) is a service Playlab offers to help cater to customers who prefers/needs to have a physical printout of a digital script. We can also provide the hardcopies to suit a variety of situations that includes rehearsals, studies and/or libraries to have on their shelves.
Please note that:
- POD Copies are charged at a flat rate of $9.00 each in addition to the digital price of the text (Not including sale prices).
- A POD copy is a thermal fastback binding copy as depicted in the pictures below, it is not the same as a standard hardcopy script offered by Playlab.
A Photocopy Licence is required to make copies of any purchased digital play script. Should you wish to make additional copies for a cast to rehearse or a class to study, you will need to purchase the necessary licence by:
- Adding the Photocopy Licence to your shopping cart when you purchase a digital script. OR
- Downloading the ‘Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form’ below and returning it to Playlab digitally to firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail to PO Box 3701 South Brisbane B.C, 4101.
Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form
- Photocopy Licences are not available for hardcopy scripts.
- Educational institutions covered by a Copyright Agency Limited (CAL) licence should take note that their CAL licence only allows them to copy a maximum of one chapter or 10% of a script whether it is in digital or hardcopy format.
- A Photocopy Licence does not include the right to on-sell copies of the script printed under the licence.
- Playwrights receive royalties from the sale of licences.
Let Playlab help you obtain the performance rights for your production. Simply click on ‘Performance Rights Enquiry Form’ below and we will get you on track to having your production off the page and onto stage.
Performance Rights Enquiry Form
Any performance or public reading of any text published by Playlab is forbidden unless a licence has been received from the author or the author’s agent. The purchase of a Playlab publication in no way gives the purchaser the right to perform the play in public, whether by means of a staged production or as a reading. Please direct all inquiries concerning performance rights, publication, translation or recording rights to email@example.com or call us on (07) 3220 2763.