Breathe in deep, can ya smell it? Smell of bus seats. Vinyl and sweat. Nothing nowhere beats that. See the yellow bus? That’s where we was born. Bustown. A junked paradise of worn tyres and scrap metal, far away from the land of Otherness.
Enjoying the safety of their junkyard town, the people of Bustown happily wait for The Driver to return. But Axel and Cressida can’t stop thinking about Otherness. With a chain of keys in close reach, how long will they continue to wait?
A vibrant exploration of small town life, Bustown questions the desperate move young people make to the city and the impact it has on the people and places they leave behind.
Bustown was originally developed as a ten-minute play in 2002 through collaboration with members of the NSW Public Schools Junior Drama Ensemble. It was extended to twenty minutes in 2003 with contribution from members of the Forest Youth Theatre Company and again in 2009 with members of the Australian Theatre for Young People.
Bustown was workshopped through Inscription, with valued insight of Will Eno, Tim Gooding, Elise Hearst, Verity Laughton and Marcus West. The version of Bustown published in this edition was updated for a production at Kansas State University, United States of America in 2015.
ISBN: 978 1 92533829 4
"Bustown is a uniquely Australian theatre experience…. Philpott’s approach to a post-apocalyptic wasteland is thought provoking while remaining optimistic."
"Brave and sad, sad but true, Lachlan Philpott’s Bustown … honors the fact that living everyday means, everyday discovering that there’s more behind you than ahead of you."
— Will Eno
"...Uplifting and funny."
— Book Nook
Print-On-Demand (POD) is a service Playlab offers to help cater to customers who prefers/needs to have a physical printout of a digital script. We can also provide the hardcopies to suit a variety of situations that includes rehearsals, studies and/or libraries to have on their shelves.
Please note that:
- POD Copies are charged at a flat rate of $9.00 each in addition to the digital price of the text (Not including sale prices).
- A POD copy is a thermal fastback binding copy as depicted in the pictures below, it is not the same as a standard hardcopy script offered by Playlab.
A Photocopy Licence is required to make copies of any purchased digital play script. Should you wish to make additional copies for a cast to rehearse or a class to study, you will need to purchase the necessary licence by:
- Adding the Photocopy Licence to your shopping cart when you purchase a digital script. OR
- Downloading the ‘Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form’ below and returning it to Playlab digitally to email@example.com or via mail to PO Box 3701 South Brisbane B.C, 4101.
Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form
- Photocopy Licences are not available for hardcopy scripts.
- Educational institutions covered by a Copyright Agency Limited (CAL) licence should take note that their CAL licence only allows them to copy a maximum of one chapter or 10% of a script whether it is in digital or hardcopy format.
- A Photocopy Licence does not include the right to on-sell copies of the script printed under the licence.
- Playwrights receive royalties from the sale of licences.
Let Playlab help you obtain the performance rights for your production. Simply click on ‘Performance Rights Enquiry Form’ below and we will get you on track to having your production off the page and onto stage.
Performance Rights Enquiry Form
Any performance or public reading of any text published by Playlab is forbidden unless a licence has been received from the author or the author’s agent. The purchase of a Playlab publication in no way gives the purchaser the right to perform the play in public, whether by means of a staged production or as a reading. Please direct all inquiries concerning performance rights, publication, translation or recording rights to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on (07) 3220 2763.