Daniel Lammin‘s Awakening honours the legacy of Frank Wedekind’s masterpiece Spring Awakening, and questions current Australian attitudes towards the transition into adulthood.
Awakening re-interprets Frank Wedekind’s controversial classic Spring Awakening and brings it crashing into the 21st century.
Melchior, Moritz and Wendla are on the cusp of adulthood, pulled between innocence and responsibility. Physically blossoming and emotionally vulnerable, they have to find their own way when the adult world around them seems incapable of guiding them.
In the midst of our national crisis over teenage mental health and sexuality, and debate fuelled by ignorance and bigotry, Awakening brings this timeless classic into a contemporary setting.
Awakening was commissioned and produced by Monash Uni Student Theatre (a department of Monash Student Association), and first performed in the Old Council Chambers at Trades Hall in Melbourne, Australia from 25 August to 3 September, 2016. A professional season, co-produced by fortyfivedownstairs and Monash Uni Student Theatre, was performed at fortyfivedownstair in Melbourne, Australia from 1 to 21 May 2017.
ISBN: 978 1 922424 09 9
"AWAKENING is superb… one of the most affecting and compelling pieces of theatre I’ve seen all year."
— Richard Watts, 3RRR/ArtsHub, 2017
"… confronting and angry and still so very beautiful."
— Anne-Marie Peard
Print-On-Demand (POD) is a service Playlab Theatre offers to help cater to customers who prefers/needs to have a physical printout of a digital script. We can also provide the hardcopies to suit a variety of situations that includes rehearsals, studies and/or libraries to have on their shelves.
Please note that:
- POD Copies are charged at a flat rate of $9.00 each in addition to the digital price of the text (Not including sale prices).
- A POD copy is a thermal fastback binding copy as depicted in the pictures below, it is not the same as a standard hardcopy script offered by Playlab Theatre.
A Photocopy Licence is required to make copies of any purchased digital play script. Should you wish to make additional copies for a cast to rehearse or a class to study, you will need to purchase the necessary licence by:
- Adding the Photocopy Licence to your shopping cart when you purchase a digital script. OR
- Downloading the ‘Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form’ below and returning it to Playlab digitally to email@example.com or via mail to PO Box 3701 South Brisbane B.C, 4101.
Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form
- Photocopy Licences are not available for hardcopy scripts.
- Educational institutions covered by a Copyright Agency Limited (CAL) licence should take note that their CAL licence only allows them to copy a maximum of one chapter or 10% of a script whether it is in digital or hardcopy format.
- A Photocopy Licence does not include the right to on-sell copies of the script printed under the licence.
- Playwrights receive royalties from the sale of licences.
Let Playlab help you obtain the performance rights for your production. Simply click on ‘Performance Rights Enquiry Form’ below and we will get you on track to having your production off the page and onto stage.
Performance Rights Enquiry Form
Any performance or public reading of any text published by Playlab is forbidden unless a licence has been received from the author or the author’s agent. The purchase of a Playlab publication in no way gives the purchaser the right to perform the play in public, whether by means of a staged production or as a reading. Please direct all inquiries concerning performance rights, publication, translation or recording rights to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on (07) 3220 2763.