Moses Susuburi has three homes — Malaita Island, Vanuatu and Beaconsfield Road, Mackay — it’s a long story, so when he is caught busking without a licenece, it’s hard for him to explain why his visa has expired. Thrown into detention, Moses must confront not only his present reality, but also reflect on his grandfathers struggles in order to understand who he is.
Incorporating song and storytelling, this powerful play shifts backwards and forwards in time to show two different, yet unbelievably similar stories. Melek mo Hani is a compelling look into the struggles of Australian South Sea Islanders, their families, and those that came before them.
Melek mo Hani was first presented by Crossroad Arts at The Mackay Arts Festival at their theatre space in Shakespeare St, Mackay on July 11, 2005. In August 2005 Melek mo Hani toured to Vanuatu where it had a 2 week season at Won Smol Bag Theatre in Port Vila during the Vanuatu Independence celebrations. It then toured Ambae Island for 1 week. Later in 2005, an excerpt of the play was staged at the Pacifica Conference in Brisbane. In 2006 the play toured Northern Australia playing at Tropic Sun Theatre Townsville, Innisfail, Jute Theatre Cairns; The Darwin Arts Festival and Minyerri Aboriginal Remote Community and Alice Springs.
ISBN: 978 1 921390 48 7
Print-On-Demand (POD) is a service Playlab offers to help cater to customers who prefers/needs to have a physical printout of a digital script. We can also provide the hardcopies to suit a variety of situations that includes rehearsals, studies and/or libraries to have on their shelves.
Please note that:
- POD Copies are charged at a flat rate of $9.00 each in addition to the digital price of the text (Not including sale prices).
- A POD copy is a thermal fastback binding copy as depicted in the pictures below, it is not the same as a standard hardcopy script offered by Playlab.
A Photocopy Licence is required to make copies of any purchased digital play script. Should you wish to make additional copies for a cast to rehearse or a class to study, you will need to purchase the necessary licence by:
- Adding the Photocopy Licence to your shopping cart when you purchase a digital script. OR
- Downloading the ‘Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form’ below and returning it to Playlab digitally to firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail to PO Box 3701 South Brisbane B.C, 4101.
Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form
- Photocopy Licences are not available for hardcopy scripts.
- Educational institutions covered by a Copyright Agency Limited (CAL) licence should take note that their CAL licence only allows them to copy a maximum of one chapter or 10% of a script whether it is in digital or hardcopy format.
- A Photocopy Licence does not include the right to on-sell copies of the script printed under the licence.
- Playwrights receive royalties from the sale of licences.
Let Playlab help you obtain the performance rights for your production. Simply click on ‘Performance Rights Enquiry Form’ below and we will get you on track to having your production off the page and onto stage.
Performance Rights Enquiry Form
Any performance or public reading of any text published by Playlab is forbidden unless a licence has been received from the author or the author’s agent. The purchase of a Playlab publication in no way gives the purchaser the right to perform the play in public, whether by means of a staged production or as a reading. Please direct all inquiries concerning performance rights, publication, translation or recording rights to email@example.com or call us on (07) 3220 2763.