Stephen Carleton’s New Babylon is a macabre comedy exploring themes of decadence, waste and the logical end points of compulsive consumption under late capitalism.
The companion piece to the 2018 hit The Turquoise Elephant, New Babylon is the second in a proposed trilogy of absurdist works dealing with the climate change crisis.
Aunt Olympia is on board a “dark tourism” ship, bound for the great plastic vortexes of the Pacific Ocean. She thinks she is touring the world’s great sites of environmental degradation as a privileged voyeur, but when our audience join her to watch her voyage – as lucky lottery winners aboard the ship – things take a bizarre turn.
As the ship ploughs through the great Pacific trash gyres on its journey to a mysterious outpost – New Babylon – the occupants begin behaving more strangely, and our own presence aboard the ship, has us questioning our complicity in the dire circumstances we all find ourselves in.
New Babylon is a Knock-em-Down and Brown’s Mart production premiering at Browns Mart Theatre, on June 8, 2021.
ISBN: 978 1 922424 35 8
Print-On-Demand (POD) is a service Playlab Theatre offers to help cater to customers who prefers/needs to have a physical printout of a digital script. We can also provide the hardcopies to suit a variety of situations that includes rehearsals, studies and/or libraries to have on their shelves.
Please note that:
- POD Copies are charged at a flat rate of $9.00 each in addition to the digital price of the text (Not including sale prices).
- A POD copy is a thermal fastback binding copy as depicted in the pictures below, it is not the same as a standard hardcopy script offered by Playlab Theatre.
A Photocopy Licence is required to make copies of any purchased digital play script. Should you wish to make additional copies for a cast to rehearse or a class to study, you will need to purchase the necessary licence by:
- Adding the Photocopy Licence to your shopping cart when you purchase a digital script. OR
- Downloading the ‘Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form’ below and returning it to Playlab digitally to firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail to PO Box 3701 South Brisbane B.C, 4101.
Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form
- Photocopy Licences are not available for hardcopy scripts.
- Educational institutions covered by a Copyright Agency Limited (CAL) licence should take note that their CAL licence only allows them to copy a maximum of one chapter or 10% of a script whether it is in digital or hardcopy format.
- A Photocopy Licence does not include the right to on-sell copies of the script printed under the licence.
- Playwrights receive royalties from the sale of licences.
Let Playlab help you obtain the performance rights for your production. Simply click on ‘Performance Rights Enquiry Form’ below and we will get you on track to having your production off the page and onto stage.
Performance Rights Enquiry Form
Any performance or public reading of any text published by Playlab is forbidden unless a licence has been received from the author or the author’s agent. The purchase of a Playlab publication in no way gives the purchaser the right to perform the play in public, whether by means of a staged production or as a reading. Please direct all inquiries concerning performance rights, publication, translation or recording rights to email@example.com or call us on (07) 3220 2763.