Scott McArdle’s Playthings is a heartfelt coming of age story of homework, hormones and homicide. It is a modern suburban coming-of-age story that explores how we hurt each other, how we help those that are hurting, and how your music taste is never better than when you’re a teenager.
Lucy and Arnold are 13. Both outcasts. Both have seen hard times. Both irrevocably changed from one adventure into the bush looking for a dying kangaroo. Now they must navigate a wasteland of broken hearts, peed pants and carrot spew. It’s homework, hormones and homicide.
Playthings was first developed with the support of Barking Gecko Theatre Company and the Australian Theatre for Young People through FRESH INK. Post-production development occurred with the assistance of Playwriting Australia. Playthings was first performed at The Blue Room Theatre, produced by Second Chance Theatre on November 5, 2019.
Playthings was produced again by Black Swan State Theatre Company and The Blue Room Theatre at the Studio Underground (State Theatre Centre of WA) on April 30, 2021.
ISBN: 978 1 922424 31 0
Print-On-Demand (POD) is a service Playlab Theatre offers to help cater to customers who prefers/needs to have a physical printout of a digital script. We can also provide the hardcopies to suit a variety of situations that includes rehearsals, studies and/or libraries to have on their shelves.
Please note that:
- POD Copies are charged at a flat rate of $9.00 each in addition to the digital price of the text (Not including sale prices).
- A POD copy is a thermal fastback binding copy as depicted in the pictures below, it is not the same as a standard hardcopy script offered by Playlab Theatre.
A Photocopy Licence is required to make copies of any purchased digital play script. Should you wish to make additional copies for a cast to rehearse or a class to study, you will need to purchase the necessary licence by:
- Adding the Photocopy Licence to your shopping cart when you purchase a digital script. OR
- Downloading the ‘Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form’ below and returning it to Playlab digitally to email@example.com or via mail to PO Box 3701 South Brisbane B.C, 4101.
Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form
- Photocopy Licences are not available for hardcopy scripts.
- Educational institutions covered by a Copyright Agency Limited (CAL) licence should take note that their CAL licence only allows them to copy a maximum of one chapter or 10% of a script whether it is in digital or hardcopy format.
- A Photocopy Licence does not include the right to on-sell copies of the script printed under the licence.
- Playwrights receive royalties from the sale of licences.
Let Playlab help you obtain the performance rights for your production. Simply click on ‘Performance Rights Enquiry Form’ below and we will get you on track to having your production off the page and onto stage.
Performance Rights Enquiry Form
Any performance or public reading of any text published by Playlab is forbidden unless a licence has been received from the author or the author’s agent. The purchase of a Playlab publication in no way gives the purchaser the right to perform the play in public, whether by means of a staged production or as a reading. Please direct all inquiries concerning performance rights, publication, translation or recording rights to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on (07) 3220 2763.