The fires of Rome and the characters surrounding Nero are warped and twisted out of their time and into ours. Disaster strikes this modern Empire when figures begin to appear from out of nowhere, bursting into flames and setting the city ablaze. One of these strangers survives; they have him imprisoned.
Empire Burning melds history and science-fiction with an evocative, poetic language to throw Western anxieties of the Other into sharp relief.
Empire Burning was co-presented with Metro Arts as part of the Independents season in the Sue Benner Theatre, Brisbane, May 2011.
ISBN:978 1 921390 59 3
"Shakespearean in its universality, it would work equally well worldwide. It should become a study text for students. Theatre directors and teachers, take note!"
— Jay McKee, Stage Whispers
"Eugene Gilfedder unleashes a searing script of myth and madness, trauma and terrorism with Empire Burning. Melding history and science-fiction with an evocative, poetic language, Empire Burning throws Western anxieties of the Other into sharp relief."
— Live Guide
"This is a beautiful production for any lover of words. It is rich, multi-layered, and beautifully considered in its sub-plots concerning the influence of Rome’s scheming political life on the construction of the Emperor Nero versus his own rigidly defined up-bringing."
— Arts Hub
Print-On-Demand (POD) is a service Playlab offers to help cater to customers who prefers/needs to have a physical printout of a digital script. We can also provide the hardcopies to suit a variety of situations that includes rehearsals, studies and/or libraries to have on their shelves.
Please note that:
- POD Copies are charged at a flat rate of $9.00 each in addition to the digital price of the text (Not including sale prices).
- A POD copy is a thermal fastback binding copy as depicted in the pictures below, it is not the same as a standard hardcopy script offered by Playlab.
A Photocopy Licence is required to make copies of any purchased digital play script. Should you wish to make additional copies for a cast to rehearse or a class to study, you will need to purchase the necessary licence by:
- Adding the Photocopy Licence to your shopping cart when you purchase a digital script. OR
- Downloading the ‘Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form’ below and returning it to Playlab digitally to email@example.com or via mail to PO Box 3701 South Brisbane B.C, 4101.
Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form
- Photocopy Licences are not available for hardcopy scripts.
- Educational institutions covered by a Copyright Agency Limited (CAL) licence should take note that their CAL licence only allows them to copy a maximum of one chapter or 10% of a script whether it is in digital or hardcopy format.
- A Photocopy Licence does not include the right to on-sell copies of the script printed under the licence.
- Playwrights receive royalties from the sale of licences.
Let Playlab help you obtain the performance rights for your production. Simply click on ‘Performance Rights Enquiry Form’ below and we will get you on track to having your production off the page and onto stage.
Performance Rights Enquiry Form
Any performance or public reading of any text published by Playlab is forbidden unless a licence has been received from the author or the author’s agent. The purchase of a Playlab publication in no way gives the purchaser the right to perform the play in public, whether by means of a staged production or as a reading. Please direct all inquiries concerning performance rights, publication, translation or recording rights to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on (07) 3220 2763.