Celebrating the controversial legacy of late-1970s Brisbane with iconoclastic humour, Prehistoric is playful, self-aware, and passionate.
Prehistoric is a story about Brisbane in the 11th year of the Bjelke-Petersen administration – a very different place from the Brisbane of 2013. In the late 1970s, the relationship of young Australians to culture, society, politics and technology went through changes that were quick, profound and – most importantly – intimately connected. This era was the turning point in Brisbane – whether or not we realise it – becoming one of the most interesting cultural incubators, not just in Australia, but in the Anglophone world.
ISBN:978 1 921390 63 0
"Loud and brash, brutally satirical and very timely"
— Kate Foy, Greenroom
"Marcel Dorney has delivered a revolutionary and thought-provoking play which oozes imagination and anarchy. When a play gives you goose bumps and tugs at your heart strings, you know it's great. Prehistoric's insight into Brisbane's history combined with its emotionally-charged performances makes it incredible to witness."
— Brisbane Times
"Marcel Dorney’s Prehistoric is a raucous, lively, beautiful and heart-breaking look at the punk scene in Brisbane in 1979. It struck so many chords with me that I could barely stop smiling throughout. The play took me back to when I decided, aged twelve, to become a punk: it was simultaneously joyous and uncomfortable in the best possible way."
— Theatre Press
Print-On-Demand (POD) is a service Playlab offers to help cater to customers who prefers/needs to have a physical printout of a digital script. We can also provide the hardcopies to suit a variety of situations that includes rehearsals, studies and/or libraries to have on their shelves.
Please note that:
- POD Copies are charged at a flat rate of $9.00 each in addition to the digital price of the text (Not including sale prices).
- A POD copy is a thermal fastback binding copy as depicted in the pictures below, it is not the same as a standard hardcopy script offered by Playlab.
A Photocopy Licence is required to make copies of any purchased digital play script. Should you wish to make additional copies for a cast to rehearse or a class to study, you will need to purchase the necessary licence by:
- Adding the Photocopy Licence to your shopping cart when you purchase a digital script. OR
- Downloading the ‘Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form’ below and returning it to Playlab digitally to email@example.com or via mail to PO Box 3701 South Brisbane B.C, 4101.
Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form
- Photocopy Licences are not available for hardcopy scripts.
- Educational institutions covered by a Copyright Agency Limited (CAL) licence should take note that their CAL licence only allows them to copy a maximum of one chapter or 10% of a script whether it is in digital or hardcopy format.
- A Photocopy Licence does not include the right to on-sell copies of the script printed under the licence.
- Playwrights receive royalties from the sale of licences.
Let Playlab help you obtain the performance rights for your production. Simply click on ‘Performance Rights Enquiry Form’ below and we will get you on track to having your production off the page and onto stage.
Performance Rights Enquiry Form
Any performance or public reading of any text published by Playlab is forbidden unless a licence has been received from the author or the author’s agent. The purchase of a Playlab publication in no way gives the purchaser the right to perform the play in public, whether by means of a staged production or as a reading. Please direct all inquiries concerning performance rights, publication, translation or recording rights to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on (07) 3220 2763.