Violet and Ruth are bored as hell in their small town Australian high school, where there’s nothing but red earth, hurricane fences and the far off whirring of the quarry. But when a new teacher arrives, the borders of the town are no longer the limit of where a girl can go. If only they can escape to Melbourne or Paris or Tokyo before the sinister creature lurking at the edges of the town snatches them up and feeds them to the insatiable earth.
Underland is a new Australian play that cracks open the desert to reveal mythic beasts, Chekhovian love triangles and big sky blues while giving the finger to everything you thought you know about “down under” from Fosters’ commercials. Underland was developed at Sydney Theatre Company.
Underland was first produced by terraNOVA Collective, premiering Off-Broadway at 59E59 Theaters, New York City, on April 3, 2015.
ISBN: 978 1 925338 43 0
Please note that this is a digital product that cannot be copied or printed without a Photocopy License or by purchasing a Print-On-Demand Copy. Once purchased, a locked PDF copy of this product will be downloadable via a link supplied within an automatically dispatched confirmation email. If you have purchased a digital product and did not receive this email please contact us at email@example.com
"Ms. Collier.... has created six vivid, droll characters. In terraNOVA Collective’s polished production of Underland at 59E59 Theaters, Mia Rovegno has directed six assertive, beautifully delineated performances"
— New York Times
"Cleverly mixing surreal dangers with the painfully everyday world"
— Charged FM
"Underland is the best kind of scary... It's the kind of scary that you don't notice at first, that creeps in around the edges, capable of capturing the audience in its jaws and swallowing them whole"
"dystopian fever dream of a play"
— Talkin' Broadway
Print-On-Demand (POD) is a service Playlab offers to help cater to customers who prefers/needs to have a physical printout of a digital script. We can also provide the hardcopies to suit a variety of situations that includes rehearsals, studies and/or libraries to have on their shelves.
Please note that:
- POD Copies are charged at a flat rate of $9.00 each in addition to the digital price of the text (Not including sale prices).
- A POD copy is a thermal fastback binding copy as depicted in the pictures below, it is not the same as a standard hardcopy script offered by Playlab.
A Photocopy Licence is required to make copies of any purchased digital play script. Should you wish to make additional copies for a cast to rehearse or a class to study, you will need to purchase the necessary licence by:
- Adding the Photocopy Licence to your shopping cart when you purchase a digital script. OR
- Downloading the ‘Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form’ below and returning it to Playlab digitally to firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail to PO Box 3701 South Brisbane B.C, 4101.
Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form
- Photocopy Licences are not available for hardcopy scripts.
- Educational institutions covered by a Copyright Agency Limited (CAL) licence should take note that their CAL licence only allows them to copy a maximum of one chapter or 10% of a script whether it is in digital or hardcopy format.
- A Photocopy Licence does not include the right to on-sell copies of the script printed under the licence.
- Playwrights receive royalties from the sale of licences.
Let Playlab help you obtain the performance rights for your production. Simply click on ‘Performance Rights Enquiry Form’ below and we will get you on track to having your production off the page and onto stage.
Performance Rights Enquiry Form
Any performance or public reading of any text published by Playlab is forbidden unless a licence has been received from the author or the author’s agent. The purchase of a Playlab publication in no way gives the purchaser the right to perform the play in public, whether by means of a staged production or as a reading. Please direct all inquiries concerning performance rights, publication, translation or recording rights to email@example.com or call us on (07) 3220 2763.