Set within visiting hour in the juvenile detention facility where he is living, the young man struggles to comprehend the manner of his crimes while she tentatively tries to reconcile her own story. Wretch is based on stories you may have heard, real stories written in the media, about crimes committed by young men. But Wretch looks deep inside this relationship – the one that matters when nothing else does. After all, it is the judgment of a boy’s mother that is most damning, and her love that survives all.
You and I out here can choose to ignore but stuck in their world neither of them can.
First presented by Angus Cerini and Doubletap at La Mama in Melbourne in 2009.
ISBN:978 1 921 390 579
"This work is unique in the way it explores and presents its themes of prostitution, violence, and sexuality."
— Australian Stage, 2009
"It’s difficult to summarise Wretch, since it’s an experience both dependent on brilliant wordsmithing and entirely beyond language—an impactful, passionate address that defies easy interpretation. I’d like to see Angus Cerini beat this one. Angus Cerini’s Wretch left me a little speechless."
— Real Time Arts
Print-On-Demand (POD) is a service Playlab offers to help cater to customers who prefers/needs to have a physical printout of a digital script. We can also provide the hardcopies to suit a variety of situations that includes rehearsals, studies and/or libraries to have on their shelves.
Please note that:
- POD Copies are charged at a flat rate of $9.00 each in addition to the digital price of the text (Not including sale prices).
- A POD copy is a thermal fastback binding copy as depicted in the pictures below, it is not the same as a standard hardcopy script offered by Playlab.
A Photocopy Licence is required to make copies of any purchased digital play script. Should you wish to make additional copies for a cast to rehearse or a class to study, you will need to purchase the necessary licence by:
- Adding the Photocopy Licence to your shopping cart when you purchase a digital script. OR
- Downloading the ‘Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form’ below and returning it to Playlab digitally to email@example.com or via mail to PO Box 3701 South Brisbane B.C, 4101.
Photocopy Licence and POD Order Form
- Photocopy Licences are not available for hardcopy scripts.
- Educational institutions covered by a Copyright Agency Limited (CAL) licence should take note that their CAL licence only allows them to copy a maximum of one chapter or 10% of a script whether it is in digital or hardcopy format.
- A Photocopy Licence does not include the right to on-sell copies of the script printed under the licence.
- Playwrights receive royalties from the sale of licences.
Let Playlab help you obtain the performance rights for your production. Simply click on ‘Performance Rights Enquiry Form’ below and we will get you on track to having your production off the page and onto stage.
Performance Rights Enquiry Form
Any performance or public reading of any text published by Playlab is forbidden unless a licence has been received from the author or the author’s agent. The purchase of a Playlab publication in no way gives the purchaser the right to perform the play in public, whether by means of a staged production or as a reading. Please direct all inquiries concerning performance rights, publication, translation or recording rights to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on (07) 3220 2763.